In many of the things I say, I use the pronouns 'we' and 'us'. I would like to think that I use them for a very deep and specific purpose but I don't. I simply use 'we' and 'us' because I hope that whoever reads this will feel the same away about what God has put into my heart this week and will include themselves in my thoughts. If that is the case this week, please feel free to join in this conversation.
As We struggle to Passionately Wait on God, the question that we like to ask our Heavenly Father is what are we waiting for? What exactly are you doing in our life? There are so many things about our lives that leave us feeling empty or abandoned or even hurt. We wait on God to speak to us or show us something that encourages us and reminds us that we are on the right track, but many times we feel like we are caught with our pants down. We are left open and vulnerable and ashamed of what people can see. So naturally we close up again, and we tell God. "I won't let that happen to me again. Why did you allow me to be hurt?" We get angry and question God's motives. We are so uncertain of what we are waiting for.
I truly believe that God created us to be curious creatures, so we ask God give us a glimpse of the future so that we can take the next step. We want to be certain that there will be no more pain or embarrassment. We declare to God our patience but also show Him our hesitance. We say that we will not take another step without Him or without Him taking one first.
Is that what we are waiting for? Are we waiting for God to take a step so that we know it is safe to follow? In Matthew 14, Peter says "If it is You, then tell me to come out on the water." Jesus simply says "Come." After Peter was certain, then it was like walking on solid ground. Peter then felt a gust of wind and got scared. He forgot why he was out there and started to sink. Jesus spoke those very popular words, "Ye of Little Faith." I like to think that Jesus had that wind come at that time so Peter could see his lack of faith in Christ.
Many of us seem to be just the same. We are waiting for God to call us out from the "boat" and it's fine until we get a little wind that shakes our foundation. When that happens, we wait again until we are ready to get back out on the water. If that is the routine of our spiritual life then i think we are no longer waiting but we are just plain scared. So the question still remains, what are we waiting for...? Are we waiting for the right time when we think we are strong enough and ready to take steps? Or are we waiting for Jesus to call us from the boat? Some of us have already walked off the boat and we feel like we are sinking, so we are waiting to be saved.
God has placed in me this passion to wait. Not just simply wait around and to be ready to go when He calls but to be waiting for what happens next. If God calls me from the boat, ready to drown; if i am drowning, ready to be saved. I still may not know what I am waiting for exactly but I hope that when the wind blows I won't hear those words Peter heard.

honestly, peter is someone i can relate to a lot at this point in my life too - i think God is probably teaching you one of the greatest things that can build your character - waiting in moments where we are not "doing". its so difficult, yet i think its those moments that truly test and build our faith. thanks for sharing bro.
ReplyDeleteanother good sharing.
ReplyDeletethanks.
amen brother. i feel like 'winds' will come our way. in either case we know that God is bigger than those winds (cliche? maybe so but true). and that is def. something that i am slowly discovering one sinking step at a time.
ReplyDelete